Monday, September 24, 2007

"Gamers" or "Lamers"

I remember when my dad brought our first computer home. Using MS DOS I was able to hook up some killer games of space invaders. It got old so quick! Before the Internet we were not able to interact with other people through gaming (only if we went to the arcade and physically challenged someone). It is so easy now to sit down at our computers get into a gunfight with someone in Sri Lanka.



Today I am actually going to Best Buy to purchase an XBOX 360 and Halo 3 and receive the best gaming experience possible. I will be in contact with millions of peope that are interacting with me in an online world. Video games have been one of my favorite activities and I usually had the latest and greatest systems, but never had any online play. My games would get boring and I would get tired of playing, but with the availability of the online multiplayer I can't seem to put the controller down. Now I see why we call them computer nerds.

In his book, Glassner talks about "resources" or "commodities" in which people compete for and achieve victories. The xbox 360 has a hard drive that saves games and stats. People can view eachother's capabilities before playing the game, therefore creating a more level playing field for everyone. In the 7th chapter, "Gameplay," Glassner overviews the "teammate error and self error." If someone harms a teammate the server has the ability to kick them out, or punish them by deducting points which is the authority figure for the online domain. Actions like cheating, cursing, and being offensive any other way will result in a punishment. So at least it won't be like a bunch of bad-mouthing truckers on CB radios.

In part 4 of Glassner's book, "Merging Stories and Games" he emphasizes on the need of good storylines to accompany the games. The best story is on that can be shaped and rediculed by those who participate and changed for the better. If someone tells us a story, it's the final word. What happened in that story stays in that story until we tell it with our own spin on things, and gaming can do that. The antagonist and protagonist of gaming stories are defined by the different people that play. Thats where the interactive part comes in. We play in different scenarios everytime, with different people everytime. It is a way to not only succeed in the game, but to succeed in actually winning against a real person. In a way, it brings a story to life.

Whenever people plug into any online world, they can put their own voice in the story. If there was an internet domain that was totally blank and users were to be put in it; they would develop the room themselves. They would interact with eachother, form a setting from eachothers likes and dislikes, and ultimately "live a second life" if they wanted to.

Are the games becoming too addicting? Last night I spent 4 or 5 hours playing Xbox Live. For some reason I just could not put the controller down. In Nevada, two parents were arrested for neglecting their kids because they were gaming too much. I know that may be a little rediculous, but like I said; I didn't put the controller down ALL NIGHT!

1 comment:

GRLucas said...

Are "computer nerds" synonymous with "gaming geeks"?

Some good stuff here, Will, but are you sure you wrote what I asked you to? Actually, I'd like to see you develop the last ¶'s ideas a bit more.

Please proofread.